Week 1 Introduction



Hi everyone!

   I'm Megan Currie and this is my blog where I will be sharing my thoughts on the different course readings for Romance Studies 202.

    I am a first year student studying English. I am excited for the start of term two and what lies ahead in this course. As for my expectations, I am looking forward to being exposed to a new and wide variety of texts that I would otherwise probably never read. I want to be able to compare the texts with each other and find new ways to analyze. I am interested in exploring the different themes and having the opportunity to learn more about the outlined concepts.

    The first lecture clearly outlined the goals of this course as well as providing a definition for what romance studies is. Without questioning, I took this course thinking it would cover all things romantic, but after our first lecture the course took my interest in a new way. I enjoyed the explanation of how romance studies are without territory. Although the romance world comes from the Latin language, it has been spread out and altered over many years. I feel ready to attempt the outlined goals as we start to explore and analyze the different romance languages. It's going to be quite interesting approaching the question of whether the linguistic heritage plays a role in connecting these language's literatures. 


Comments

  1. Hi Megan! 'Romance' was definitely quite misleading, but still very intriguing. I think you highlighted good points about the transboundary nature of the romance world and how it spread out and mutated over time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice output, and yea I expected romance studies to just be typical romance but wow how I was very wrong. Nonetheless, I am looking forward to be reading these texts and interpreting them to further discover what "romance studies" is all about

      Delete
  3. Hi Megan! I am also a first-year student at ubc! I also came into this course thinking it would cover all things romantic but was enlightened to find out that it was more than just that. I am looking forward to seeing how this course will play out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts