Aragon's "Paris Peasant" Reflection

    I’d like to start this off by first giving attention to the details. The amount of imagery put into this novel was incredible. The narrator painted an authentic picture of the Passage de l’Opéra and the Buttes-Chaumont. I have never read anything quite like this where I was so vividly transported into the scenes. It takes the reader and places them directly into the eyes and thoughts of the narrator. One thing that I found really added to the novel was the incorporation of different menus, signs, and newspaper clippings, the visual element gave more dimensions to the story that made the reader feel as if they were there too. As well as the visual elements I thought it was cool that Aragon incorporated a playlet on page 74 and a fable on page 68 to add new elements.

    The narrator is constantly analyzing their surroundings and putting intellectual reasoning behind everything he sees. So I found it amusing on page 101 when he says “I would have never thought of myself as an observer,” contradicting the whole novel. Not only did the detail transport us to the setting, but through the narrator's inner monologue we were given a chance to immerse ourselves into the setting and what it was like to walk through an arcade  at this time. I like the fact that the narrator was just wandering aimlessly around without purpose because you never get to see from that perspective. With nothing to do except walk around and observe, and the fact that it is the narrator's domain, everything feels more genuine. I think everyone is usually so busy and with purpose in both reality and in fiction and the author was able to give us an outlook that we do not usually see.

I found it hard to follow along with this text as it didn’t follow any of the traditional makings of a story. I found it confusing and I think reading it a few more times would help me make sense of it. I have no background knowledge on surrealism in literature, but I thought that Paris Peasant was a good place to start. This was a new point of view that I have never come across before. However, I also think a lot of the context went over my head. My Question for this post is: What did you think of this perspective? Did it give you insight and provoke thought or did you find it difficult to make sense of?


Comments

  1. Hi Megan,
    At first, I had a hard time following the book since I was expecting a traditional making of a story. Still, the imagery and incorporation of the newspaper clippings and signs were quite refreshing. This story definitely provoked surrealist thoughts and our expectations as readers for traditional story-making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan:)
    Thank you for our post! I liked what you said about the 'observer' quote. I never quite made that connection while reading, but now, I totally see how it seems contradictory. Also, regarding your question, I definitely couldn't make sense of anything at first either! I feel like that may have been the case for most of us:/ But once I got into the flow of things, I did find that the novel does provoke quite insightful thoughts.
    - Harshi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts